Bill Maher had a great tweet about this made up Republican scandal. He said that the "IRS actually targeted a group that wanted to abolish the IRS? Shocking. Like getting pulled over more by the cops after you put a Fuck the Police bumper sticker on".
The Tea Party was always a phony group promoted by FOX Noise and the Koch Brothers as a way to abolish the government and privatize everything so they could send all the profits to their buddies in the private sector, sort of like what Dick Cheney did with Halliburton and Iraq. Don't for a second think that didn't come in to play when Bush and Cheney were thinking about invading Iraq. They could see dollar signs aplenty for all their buddies at Exxon Mobil and Halliburton. So the 1% reap the profits and the other 99% gets screwed. A Republican wet dream.
I've lived on Piedmont Rd in Buckhead for 6 years and I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've driven the stretch of Cheshire Bridge from La Vista to Piedmont. There is nothing drawing you there at all, especially during the day. It's like a complete wasteland. There are some interesting ethnic restaurants, and the International Bakery that I frequent, that survive.
But many more places have gone under, and we have to ask ourselves what the hell is going on and what can be done to reverse that. Why did Happy Hermann's, an icon on Cheshire Bridge for more than 30 years, close up shop? I asked the guy before he closed up shop, and he said it had to do with traffic issues.
That hits at the main problem. Cheshire Bridge is nothing more than a traffic-plagued corridor that gets you from Point A to Point B, that's an alternative to Piedmont Road. But the strip clubs are nothing special. There's a million more all over the damn city. Why frequent the ones on Cheshire Bridge? What makes them so special? And can we sell anything more in this city other than sex? There's got to be a way to clean up that awful corridor and make it appeal to everyone, not just a small segment of the population.
Sounds like you can get a DUI for drinking a bottle of Bud down here. That's insane. Welcome to the South.
Screw Dunkin. Don't we have enough sprawl and generic chains blighting the city and suburbs?
I seek out places like Sublime Doughnuts or Antico Pizza or Star Provisions because they are what makes Atlanta Atlanta. When we just become a city when we can find the same generic chains that we can find in Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, New York or Philadelphia, then what is the point of that and why would I patronize these places if I can find them in a zillion other places? I seek out places like Morelli's Ice Cream because it's a decent product and it's what makes Atlanta Atlanta. Why can't the moronic developers around here figure that out?
The paranoia that is gripping this city and this country after Monday's bombing is sad. If you even try to make eye contact with someone on MARTA lately, that is cause for calling out the National Guard.
Whatever you do, Syracuse fans, stay away from Five Points in downtown ATL. It's basically the inner city ghetto from hell right in downtown. For some reason, the city refuses to clean it up for fear of infuriating the black community in trying to gentrify downtown. What we're left with is the inner city right in downtown for all the tourists to see. Just stick to Peachtree Center and the Hard Rock Cafe/Hooters on down to Centennial Park and you'll be fine. And stay away from Underground too. What an embarrassment. Hopefully one of these years, we'll turn it into a casino or something useful.
Shouldn't it be a priority of the city of Atlanta administration to do something about all these abandoned, decrepit buildings downtown? Either fix them up and get some tenants or tear them down and find some other use. I'm not just thinking of the AJC building, what about that other horror show across from Five Points MARTA? What about a couple of doors down from Hooters at Peachtree Center? That place looks awful.
I imagine all the NCAA basketball fans arriving in a few days are going to be absolutely horrified by what they see up and down the streets of Atlanta. You'd think the city would be making an effort to clean things up but I guess not.
All Comments »
Creative Loafing Atlanta
Powered by Foundation