He clearly has some loyal staffers, but he might give a training course on how to comment and look less like paid consultants or his mother...
That said, I think he has by and large done a good job, but he really lost my long term support (I'm not interested in throwing my vote away in this election) when he jammed the stadium through with barely a glance at Atlanta's citizens. Yes, he'll have his stadium legacy, but it was a bitter pill for many of us to swallow.
I can see why having this mural next to a church would be offensive to God because, of course, God didn't create the female form, right? Or, well, maybe it was just the naked part. We're all born with clothes on, aren't we?
Leviticus and Deuteronomy are both books of the old Testament, as Bald Eagle pointed out. As he also said, Corinthians was written by Paul, who never met Jesus. There are no quotes in the bible regarding homosexuality attributed to Jesus.
The section of Leviticus that denounces homosexuality is the same section that denounces pork and touching pigskin. I've yet to see anyone put forth a constitutional amendment to ban barbecue and football.
And as to whether gay marriage has a detrimental effect on marriage in general - my first husband was gay and that was not so good for our marriage. Gay people are allowed to marry. They're just not allowed to marry each other.
It feels like a lot of the no votes on here are knee jerk and I really appreciate Thomas's thoughtfulness on this issue. But I have to agree with those who say, "it's now or never." I simply don't believe we're ever going to get this close again and if we want to move forward on transportation and as a city, we have to vote yes.
I agree that it's no where near perfect, but in a state where it's a good day in the legislature when we can keep guns out of the airport, I don't think we're going to get any better.
All of what you say is true. Change is inevitable and often painful, but if embraced, it can bring about a wondrous new sense of vitality. But I have to say, Eric, from reading your columns, I wonder who you're trying to convince?
You're asking the CL audience to move through their resistance and be cool with all the changes - perhaps even chastising us a bit for resisting. But you appear to have done little to embrace you're own changes. By your admission, you race back to Dallas (which you still refer to as home) many weekends to see friends, family and your girlfriend. You reacted with indignation last week when the ajc questioned Dallas' test scores. Is Atlanta a real change for you that you're willing to embrace?
For good or ill, Atlanta is it's own mistress. We don't share easily. We're a first class city with a very unique heart and soul. We don't really see other cities as rivals. In fact, we don't really pay much attention to them. Does that make us a bit incestuous? Probably. But it also gives us our own spirit. I lived away from here for 20 years (Los Angeles) and when I came back I realized what a special place this truly was.
So, I guess, as a reader, I'm asking you if you want to embrace Atlanta as home or commute here for work? If it's the former, then you'll find Atlanta will welcome you, even with the changes you've wrought. If it's the later, you'd do yourself a favor to go back to Dallas now. Because Atlanta is not interested in playing second fiddle.
I say good for them. The property adjacent to them, which they own, is between Kudzu Antiques and the YDFM and it's hardly a parkland. While the store may be a regional attraction, it's a weekly grocery for those of us fortunate enough to live nearby; and a very good one. They're locally owned and employ hundreds of people.
Despite weekend crowds, which would likely be eased somewhat with expansion, simply because there would be more space for everyone, it's a model of civility, efficiency and cultural integration. I'm always amazed at how the massive crowds manage to move around in there without seeming particularly stressed. They also open checkout lanes as the crowd swells, so the wait is rarely as onerous as one thinks it's going to be. And I would posit there's no place in town where so many people across so many divides come together to shop.
The knee jerk response to expansion of any kind (and I'm a good liberal, so I've done this myself) is a negative one. But in this case, I think we may just be in for more of what we currently love.
Wow. Really? Only 29% of women have organisms? That's depressing. I feel really sorry for the other 71%.
And to answer the question, for me it's equally important. My husband and I have been together for 10 years and I can count on my fingers the number of times one of us didn't climax (and we were usually way too drunk). And yes, it left us both feeling unsatisfied when it happened.
All Comments »
Creative Loafing Atlanta
Powered by Foundation