so disappointed 
Member since Jul 12, 2013


Stats

Friends

  • No friends yet.
Become My Friend Find friends »

Recent Comments

Re: “Georgia's blank check to Hollywood

70% of something > 100% of nothing. That's right, its simple math. I'll put it another way. If a film shoots in Louisiana and say they owe $100,000 in taxes how much of that money will go to Georgia? None right? Now if that same film decides to shoot in Georgia because of Georgia's tax incentives and owes the same $100,000 dollars, after the 30% tax credit how much will Georgia see in taxes? That's right, $70,000. Very good. So, by the film shooting here georgia receives $70,000 in tax revenue that it would not have received were it not for the tax credit. 70% of something > 100% of nothing.

I can't fathom how this is so hard for some supposedly educated people to grasp. And to print things like "the revenue the state's giving away" is completely irresponsible and mis-leading. The state isn't writing checks or handing out cash to productions. But of course you know that.

Oh, and how about this one? "more than $200 million it's passed up over the last three years — cash that could potentially pay for education, transportation, and better social services" So, you want to focus on the 30% or $200 million the state didn't get but choose to ignore the other 70% it did get "that could potentially pay for education, transportation, and better social services". That's 70% that it would not have received if it were not for the tax incentives.

So good job exposing how Georgia is giving away millions of dollars to hollywood producers. With stellar reporting such as this it is shocking that you're still writing for Creative Loafing and not Time.

14 likes, 11 dislikes
Posted by so disappointed on 07/12/2013 at 2:08 AM

Favorite Places

  • None.
Find places »

Custom Lists

  • Zip.

Saved Events

  • Nada.
Find events »

Saved Stories

  • Nope.
Find stories »
 

© 2016 Creative Loafing Atlanta
Powered by Foundation