A photo tour of Fort McPherson before its closure
July 21, 2011
For more than 125 years, relatively few people have explored Fort McPherson in southwest Atlanta. Founded in late 1885, the base was home to Gen. Colin Powell and housed prisoners of war, in addition to the Third Army during World War II and the U.S. Forces Command. In 2005, the military announced Fort McPherson would close, and the redeveloped area, scheduled for this September, is envisioned as a mixed-use project anchored by a bioscience research center.
(showing full size)
Fort McPherson's Staff Row, Troop Row and Parade Ground, all of which were built in the late 1800s, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Pictured here are the former barracks along Troop Row. Prior to its conversion into offices, soldiers slept in bunk beds in its vast rooms.
1 of 20