As manager to DJ Rob Wonder and Atlanta punk-pop sensation Cartel, Chris Black knows a thing or two about promoting. Black can tell you firsthand that keeping up the hype about his clients as well as his own company, Done to Death Management, is a full-time job. Think about the guys from Adult Swim: One small act of promoting resulted in an absurd bomb threat but massive publicity. So, take some notes; here are Chris Black's top five ways to shamelessly self-promote:
1) Image: "You or your artists' faces need to be plastered on stickers, buttons and T-shirts. Nothing is better than people wearing you. Bobblehead dolls are also a BIG plus."
2) Slogans: "Rip them off, create your own -- whatever. If it's funny or clever people will remember it. Think: 'Make It Rain,' 'Walk It Out,' 'Do Work,' etc. ..."
3) Net working: "Al Gore gave us a valuable tool. Use it 24 hours a day. It never ends, America. You can say and do whatever you please. INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY!"
4) Crackberry: "Constant contact is key. When you stop communicating, you stop promoting. Don't blame me for the carpal tunnel or annoyed friends."
5) Crew: "Surround yourself with other characters who like to do or create cool stuff. Haters help no cause."
Trashed Dance Rock Party
I first saw Sleater-Kinney at Dottie's, after the show was relocated from Savage Pizza. True…
did gucci mane ever get to release those 10 albums?
if the old dottie's/lenny's building lasted longer than the building that housed the new lenny's,…