On Tues., June 20, the Mid Fulton Democrats invite you to talk politics with several candidates vying for spots in the state House, Senate and other offices. This casual meet-and-greet lets local left-wingers get a closer look at what they'll have to choose from in the July 18 primaries. And if you find someone who deserves more than just your vote, you can volunteer with that candidate's campaign team. Politicos include Georgia secretary of state hopeful Darryl Hicks and incumbent state Reps. Kathy Ashe, Virgil Fludd and Sheila Jones. Lieutenant governor candidate Greg Hecht will also be represented.
The meet-and-greet starts at 6:30 p.m. at Manuel's Tavern, 602 N. Highland Ave. For more info, call 404-281-3331 or visit www.midfultondems.org.
· BUCKHEAD BUSINESS ASSOCIATION The BBA meets over breakfast to discuss the economic and cultural vitality of Buckhead. The Thurs., June 15, meeting will feature guest speaker J. Stafford Durham, one of the state's leading private investigators. Cost for non-members: $15 (includes continental breakfast). Thursdays, 7:30-9 a.m. Anthony's Restaurant, 3109 Piedmont Road. 404-467-7607. www.buckheadbusiness.org.
· VOTING RIGHTS DOC On Thurs., June 15, human rights groups will host a screening of a short film on felon voting rights. Democracy's Ghosts describes how 5 million Americans have been stripped of their right to vote. A moderated panel discussion, organized by the ACLU and the National Center for Human Rights Education, will follow the screening. Free and open to the public. 5:30 p.m. Auburn Avenue Research Library, 101 Auburn Ave. 404-523-2721. email@example.com.
· DRINKING LIBERALLY The local chapter of this national organization, which aims to promote democracy "one pint at a time," encourages Democrats to discuss politics, current events and whatever else comes up after a few drinks. Thurs., June 15, and every Thursday, at 8 p.m. Thinking Man Tavern, 537 W. Howard Ave., Decatur. 404-370-1717. www.drinkingliberally.org.
· BROOKHAVEN HOMEOWNERS The Brookhaven Homeowners and Neighborhood Business Alliance holds monthly networking events. Speakers at the Thurs., June 15, meeting include DeKalb County Commissioner Burrell Ellis, and Angela Moore, candidate for Georgia secretary of state. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. Third Thursday of every month, 7-9 p.m. Meeting venues and speakers vary. Meet this month at the DeKalb Path Academy, 3007 Hermance Drive. 678-754-4594.
· YOUNG DEMS HAPPY HOUR Young Democrats of Atlanta gather for a happy hour the third Thursday of every month to network with like-minded liberals over drinks and free hors d'oeuvres. Thurs., June 15, 7 p.m., Gordon Biersch, 848 Peachtree St. 404-870-0805. www.atlantayoungdems.org.
· ATLANTA CITY COUNCIL The Atlanta City Council meets monthly to discuss issues affecting Atlanta. Mon., June 19. Third Monday of every month, 1 p.m. Council Chambers at Atlanta City Hall, 68 Mitchell St. 404 -330-6030. www.atlantaga.gov.
· CASTLEBERRY HILL NEIGHBORS The Castleberry Hill Neighborhood Association's monthly meeting is open to all residents. The historic neighborhood is located downtown, just south of CNN Center. Mon., June 19. Third Monday of every month, 6:30-7:30 p.m. The Granite Room, 211 Peters St. 404-228-2078. www.castleberryhill.org.
· DECATUR CITY COUNCIL The council meets twice a month to discuss local government and address community concerns. Mon., June 19. First and third Monday of every month, 7:30 p.m. Temporary City Hall, 233 E. Trinity Place, Decatur. 404-371-8386. www.decaturga.com.
· FAIRNESS FOR PRISONERS' FAMILIES This organization offers advice to those with loved ones in Georgia prisons, as well as help in dealing with the Georgia Department of Corrections. Mon., June 19. Third Monday of every month, 6:30 p.m. St. John's Lutheran Church, 1410 Ponce de Leon Ave., 404-681-5576.
· COLLEGE PARK CITY COUNCIL College Park residents are encouraged to attend monthly meetings. Issues not on the agenda can be addressed in the opening minutes. Mon., June 19. First and third Monday of every month, 7:30 p.m. City Hall in College Park, 3667 Main St. 404-767-1537. www.collegeparkga.com.
· ATLANTA STONEWALL DEMOCRATS Join this left-leaning lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender group on Thurs., June 22, for a fundraiser to benefit Democrats that ASD has endorsed in the upcoming election. Suggested $25 contribution. 6:30-8:30 p.m. Red Chair Restaurant and Video Lounge, 550-C Amsterdam Ave. 404-607-1865. www.atlantastonewall.org.
· "AIR LOAF" ON 1690 AM
· Listen to CL Editor Ken Edelstein on "Air Loaf," CL's talk radio show. "Air Loaf" is broadcast every Saturday from 11 a.m.-noon on WWAA-AM (1690) Voice of the Arts.
· POLITICAL PARTY
· Join CL Editor Ken Edelstein and a panel of local politicos and players at the next Political Party Wed., July 12. The event is open to the public and encourages discussion of issues facing metro Atlanta. It's held the second Wednesday of every month. 7:30 p.m., Dad's Garage Theatre, 280 Elizabeth St. atlanta.creativeloafing.com/politicalparty.
· Want to publicize a political or civic event? E-mail email@example.com.
"I didn't watch baseball, football or basketball for nearly a decade because it was from…
"What about the ITP fans? Are they fat asses...?" _______________________________________________________ I suppose, but Oy and…
"Some people join unions for philosophical reasons." __________________________________________ All people join unions for philosophical reasons…
" I am asking you for your source to prove union members are leftists." _________________________________________________________…
"GO BRAVES! AND KEEP RIGHT ON GOING!...right outta town...."
Finally - common ground!