1. For all our successful rock and hip-hop acts (Black Crowes, Collective Soul, OutKast, Ludacris, TLC), many people think of Atlanta as a breeding ground for innocuous lite-rock (India.Arie, John Mayer).
2. People think of Athens (R.E.M., B-52's, Widespread Panic, Elephant Six) as Georgia's premier music city.
3. Despite what Jermaine and Ludacris say, Atlanta isn't really the spot where the players play, and parties stop long before 8 in the morning.
4. People in other cities don't really care that Elton John maintains a lavish apartment here.
-- Kevin Moreau
SIX THINGS ACCLAIMED LOCAL PRODUCER BRENDAN O'BRIEN HAS TO ANSWER FOR
1 . Jackyl's self-titled debut (1993)
2 . Train, Drops of Jupiter (2001)
3. Papa Roach, Lovehatetragedy (2002)
4. Korn, Follow the Leader (1998); Issues (1999)
5. Sheryl Crow's cover of "Sweet Child O' Mine," 1999 (mixing duties only)
6. Aerosmith, Get A Grip (1993)
-- Kevin Moreau
FOUR LOCAL ELECTRONIC PRODUCERS MORE FAMOUS IN OTHER COUNTRIES
1 . Scott Herren (Prefuse 73, Savath + Savalas), now residing in Barcelona
2 . Richard Devine (rdevine, Trapezoid)
3 . Chris Brann (Ananda Project, Wamdue Project, P'taah)
4 . Brian Burton (Pelican City, Danger Mouse), now residing in London
-- Roni Sarig
LOCAL MUSIC MATH
Dave Matthews ÷ [(Vanilla Ice + Fiona Apple) - Rod McKuen] = John Mayer
(Graham Parker + David Fricke) - Donovan = Swimming Pools Q's' Jeff Calder
(Staind + Living Colour) x Hootie & the Blowfish = Sevendust
(Indigo Girls + Rolling Stones) - major label = Michelle Malone
[(Buddy Guy + Michael Bloomfield) ÷ Susan Tedeschi] + Northside Tavern = Sean Costello
[(Emmanuel Lewis + Robin Leach) ÷ Hugh Hefner] x [Phil Spector ÷ Michael Jackson] = Jermaine Dupri
(Alicia Keys - Tori Amos) + [(Erykah Badu ÷ Lauryn Hill)+ Joan Armatrading] x Tracy Chapman = India.Arie
[Van Morrison + Tom Waits] - Jack Kerouac = Kodac Harrison
[(The Faces + The Rolling Stones) - Elvis Presley] ÷ Candlebox = the Black Crowes
FIVE ACTS WE LIKE TO CLAIM AS LOCALS (BUT WHO REALLY AREN'T)
1. Peter Buck -- R.E.M. guitarist's Seattle digs make it harder than ever to claim him as Georgia fixture.
2. Alan Jackson -- Zillion-selling aw-shucks country superstar (and Newnan, Ga., native) lays his 10-gallon hat in Brentwood, Tenn.
3. Elton John -- Part-time Buckhead resident (and full-time "Peach Buzz" staple) still calls Britain home.
4. John Mayer -- Fresh-faced pop singer currently splits his time between L.A. and New York.
5. Chris Robinson -- Former Black Crowe long ago settled in California; he currently lives the good life in Malibu with actress Kate Hudson.
-- Kevin Moreau
FIVE ACTS THAT ARE LOCAL (BUT ARE CLAIMED BY OTHER PLACES)
Too Short (Oakland, Calif.)
Scarface (Houston, Texas)
Chuck D (New York, N.Y.)
Brian "Backstreet Boy" Littrell
-- Roni Sarig
TOP TEN ATLANTA ONE-HIT WONDERS
1. "Lullaby," Shawn Mullins, #7 (pop), 1998
2. "Key Largo," Bertie Higgins, #8 (pop)/ #1 (adult contemporary), 1982
3. "Keep Your Hands to Yourself," Georgia Satellites, #2 (pop), 1987
4. "Whoot, There It Is," 95 South, #11 (pop)/ #3 (rap), 1993
5. "Moonlight Feels Right," Starbuck, #3 (pop), 1976
6. "I Love the Nightlife," Alicia Bridges, #5 (pop), 1978
7. "Chevy Van," Sammy Johns, #5 (pop), 1975
8. "Freak of the Week," Marvelous 3, #5 (modern rock), 1999
9. "Pac-Man Fever," Buckner and Garcia, #9 (pop), 1982
10. "Money Changes Everything," Cyndi Lauper (written by Atlanta's Tom Gray and originally recorded by his band, the Brains), #27 (pop), 1984
-- Lee Smith
HOMEGROWN MUSICAL MOVEMENTS
Singer/songwriter -- what: earnest strummers; who: Caroline Aiken, Indigo Girls, Shawn Mullins, John Mayer; where: Decatur; patron saint: Bob Dylan
Neo-soul -- what: bourgie-boho/neuvo-retro hipster vibes; who: India Arie, Donnie, Seek, Chiedza; where: Apache Cafe (formerly Yin Yang Cafe); patron saint: Donny Hathaway
Redneck Underground -- what: Southern pride with hipness and humor; who: Diggers, Slim Chance, Truckadelic, Drive-By Truckers; where: Austin Avenue Buffet, Star Bar; patron saint: Johnny Cash
Instro/surf rock -- what: lyrics-free spy-fi twang for a landlocked city; who: the Penetrators, Man or Astro-Man?, the X-Rays, the Mariners, the Hula Hounds; where: Starlight Drive-In; patron saint: Dick Dale
New wave -- what: skinny-tie shimmy and jerk; who: Swimming Pool Q's, the Producers, the Brains, Arms Akimbo; where: Wax N Facts used record bins; patron saint: Danny Beard
Crunk -- what: industrial-strength party rap; who: Lil Jon & the Eastside Boyz, 404 Soldiers, Bone Crusher; where: South DeKalb, Southwest Atlanta; patron saint: Nipsey Russell
This is the second time that I'm aware of that Jones was behind a controversial…
"Why are we celebrating American traitors, people who conspired to kill American citizens and destroy…
The state of Israel was created after WWII. The USA facilitated an invasion of Palestine…
And still nothing for South DeKalb. Thanks, MARTA.
Yeah, but Pat, I have determined you are a racist white Southern supremacist and so…