Gwinnett news 

Home invasion suspect bound over

A 20-year-old man, accused of leading two 14-year-old prospective gang members in an apartment raid, has been bound over to Gwinnett Superior Court on charges of robbery and sexual assault.

Chief Magistrate Warren Davis decided there was enough evidence to hold Rubin Ramos, 20, without bond.

Ramos allegedly led the two teens in an apartment raid, in which the intruders ordered seven men to the floor and robbed them, according to police. One of the two women in the apartment was raped and the other was forced to perform oral sex, police said.

The 14-year-olds were new recruits for the Sur 13 gang. The teens told police they were following Ramos. Both are charged with armed robbery. One also is charged with rape and the other is charged as a party to rape.

GWINNETT CENTER TO EXPAND
The Gwinnett Tourism and Convention Bureau has plans to start building an arena that will give the Gwinnett Civic and Cultural Center a chance at attracting conventions, shows and possibly even a hockey team.

The $88-million expansion, scheduled to start early next year, will include a 13,100-seat arena . Other details released last week show a 1,500-seat upscale ballroom will be built as well.

The additions could lure conventioneers and a minor-league hockey team to Gwinnett, according to bureau officials.

Hotel-motel revenue will fund the project through an agreement with the Gwinnett County Commission. The expansion is the second phase of a project off Sugarloaf Parkway and I-85.

MAN CHARGED IN BOYS' CRASH
A grand jury indicted a Stone Mountain man on vehicular homicide charges, alleging he supplied five adolescents with beer and keys to a car, leading to a wreck that killed two of them.

Gerrardo Luis Guzman, also known as Luis Gerardo Pagan, is accused of giving beer to four youths under 17 and one man under 21. He also gave car keys to one of the boys.

Fourteen-year-old Joey Hernandez was driving the car when it hit a tree and caught fire at Stone Mountain Mobile Home Park. Robert Hernandez, 12, and Matthew Sartor, 16, were killed in the crash.

Joey Hernandez has pleaded guilty to vehicular homicide, DUI, reckless driving and driving without a license. He is sentenced as a juvenile to two years as a ward of the state.

TEENS PLEAD GUILTY TO HAVING ALCOHOL
Twelve teenagers pleaded guilty to underage alcohol possession in court last week. The charges stem from a keg party in south Gwinnett County over the summer.

One other student, who denied the charge, is scheduled for trial Dec. 27, according to officials.

Sixteen-year-old Kirby Cruce, a Shiloh High School student, died in a one-car crash while driving home from the party Aug. 11.

The students were sentenced to 20 hours of community service and ordered to complete alcohol awareness and personal development classes. The mostly 15- and 16-year-olds have 90 days to complete the sentence.

Roseanne Marks, the owner of the home where the party was held, and five other adults could face indictment in January for felony involuntary manslaughter. The six adults gave the underage kids alcohol and a place to have the party, said investigators.

The other teens, who were at least 17, were charged as adults with underage alcohol pos- session.

Compiled by Lea Keel. Source information from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

Latest in News

The Ultimate Doughnut Smackdown
The Ultimate Doughnut Smackdown

Search Events

  1. Ghosts of hotspots past 23

    Reliving legendary times at Atlanta's long gone nightspots
  2. DJ Rasta Root

  3. How to tip a stripper 1

© 2016 Creative Loafing Atlanta
Powered by Foundation