· Atlanta City Council City Council discusses regular business and other issues affecting the city. Third Monday of every month, 1 p.m. Council Chambers at City Hall, 68 Mitchell St. 404-330-6030. www.atlantaga.gov.
· Atlanta Commission on Women The commission has been charged by City Council with finding out what issues are affecting women's lives in Atlanta. At hearings around the city, women are encouraged to attend and be heard. Sat., Sept. 17, 2-4 p.m. West End Library, 525 Peeples St. 404-752-8740.
· Castleberry Hill Neighbors The general meeting of the Castleberry Hill Neighborhood Association is open to all residents. Third Monday of every month, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Studio Grille, 177 Peters St. 404-307-8127. www.castleberryhill.org.
· Coastal Cleanup The International Coastal Cleanup organization is holding cleanup events to pick up litter and marine debris on beaches and inland waterways across the country Sat., Sept. 17. To be a part of the effort in Georgia and get more information, visit www.coastalcleanup.org.
· Decatur City Council The Decatur City Council meets twice a month to discuss local government. First Monday of every month, 7:30 p.m.; third Monday of every month, 7:30 p.m. Temporary City Hall, 233 E. Trinity Place, Decatur. 404-371-8386. www.decaturga.com.
· Druid Hills Civic Association The association's monthly meetings are open to the public. Location subject to change. Third Wednesday of every month, 7 p.m. Emory University, 1784 N. Decatur Road. 404-523-DHCA. www.druidhills.org.
· Fulton Commissioners Come to the Fulton County Commission meeting at the beginning of the month to hear zoning cases, or at the end of the month to hear commission issues. First and third Wednesdays of every month, 10 a.m. Fulton County Government Center's Assembly Hall, 141 Pryor St. 404-730-8200. www.co.fulton.ga.us/commissioners.
· Grant Park Neighbors Residents of Grant Park are encouraged to attend neighborhood meetings so that their voice can be heard. Third Tuesday of every month, 7:30-9 p.m. Georgia Hill Neighborhood Center, 250 Georgia Ave. grantpark.org.
· Lake Claire Neighbors The Lake Claire Neighbors organize cleanups, provide a community voice to city reps, and raise funds for neighborhood refurbishments. Third Thursday of every month, 7 p.m. Frazer Center, 1815 Ponce de Leon Ave. www.lakeclaire.org.
· Neighborhood Planning Unit The city's Neighborhood Planning Units are citizen-run councils that advise the mayor and Atlanta City Council. Each NPU meets on a monthly basis to solicit community concerns. Membership is open to anyone 18 years or older whose primary residence is within the NPU, or any place of business within the NPU. Dates and times vary. To find out which NPU you belong to and when it meets, visit www.atlantaga.gov or call 404-330-6899.
· Walk There Challenge The Fall Metro Atlanta Walk There! Challenge will take place Oct. 3-Oct. 31. Participants log the number and distance of walks they take each day, and the event organizers hope the competition will promote walking as a transportation alternative that reduces air pollution caused by car emissions. Weekly prizes will be given to one competitor in each of 10 zones in Atlanta, and the grand prize will be a weekend getaway to an intown hotel. Registration deadline is Sept. 26. For more info, contact the Clean Air Campaign at 877-CLEAN-AIR or visit www.cleanaircampaign.com.
· CL events:
· Political Party
· Join CL Editor Ken Edelstein and a panel of local politicos and players at the next Political Party. The event, which is open to the public and encourages audience discussion of issues facing metro Atlanta, is held the second Wednesday of every month, 7:30 p.m. (doors; event starts at 8), at Dad's Garage Theater, 280 Elizabeth St.
· Air Loaf
· Listen to CL's writers and critics discuss what's going on around town on Air America's "Air Loaf." Tune in to 1690 AM weekdays at 7 a.m., noon, 5 p.m. and 9 p.m.
· Want to publicize a political or civic event? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
@ Mark from Atlanta "I should have "qualified" my statement by writing that Carter was…
Tater Salad - Rappin Rodney is in charge of all things black at CL -…
Well its not like its going to have the #7 IRT Flushing line. Seriously though,…
I'm glad these guys are getting their deserved hype but seriously.... 'Is art the new…
No X 2