The Sierra Club's Atlanta chapter holds monthly general membership meetings covering a wide range of environmental issues affecting the city and the rest of the state. The group's Tues., June 13, meeting -- titled "How Bicycles Save the World!" -- will feature guest speaker Dennis Hoffart, executive director of the Atlanta Bicycle Campaign. Hoffart will explain how Atlantans can make great strides toward improving the environment simply by riding their bikes. Members and visitors alike are welcome, and according to the club's website, "Spandex clothing is optional."
Second Tuesday of every month, 7:30 p.m. Church of the Epiphany, 2089 Ponce de Leon Ave. 404-373-8338. www.georgia.sierraclub.org/atlanta.
· DRINKING LIBERALLY The local chapter of this national organization encourages Democrats to discuss politics, current events and whatever else comes up after a few drinks. Thurs., June 8, and every Thursday at 8 p.m. Thinking Man Tavern, 537 W. Howard Ave., Decatur. 404-370-1717. www.thinkingmantavern.com.
· BUCKHEAD BUSINESS ASSOCIATION The BBA meets over breakfast to discuss the economic and cultural vitality of Buckhead. Henry W. Grady III will speak at the group's Thurs., June 8, meeting, titled "Grady Hospital: An Atlanta Tradition." Cost for nonmembers: $15. Thursdays, 7:30-9 a.m. Anthony's Restaurant, 3109 Piedmont Road. 404-467-7607. www.buckheadbusiness.org.
· EAST COBB DEMS The East Cobb Democratic Alliance works to get progressive Democrats elected in their districts. Members hear speakers and discuss campaign strategies. Fri., June 9. Second Friday of every month, 7 p.m. East Cobb Government Center, 4400 Lower Roswell Road, Marietta. 770-499-4444.
· GWINNETT DEMS BREAKFAST Meet members of the Gwinnett Democratic Party at their monthly breakfast. Denise Majette, former U.S. rep and candidate for state school superintendent, will speak at this month's meeting Sat., June 10. $6. Second Saturday of each month, 8:30-10 a.m. Atlanta Bread Company, 5456 Jimmy Carter Blvd., Norcross. 678-924-8200. www.gwinnettdemocrats.com.
· LIBERTARIAN MEETUP A Sat., June 10, social will serve as the kickoff for the Greater Atlanta Libertarian Party Meetup Group. The event aims to bring local Libertarians together in a comfortable atmosphere. 8 p.m. Smith's Olde Bar, 1578 Piedmont Ave. 404-875-1522. libertarian.meetup.com/292/.
· SOUTH FULTON DEMS This group works to elect Dems who share concerns about development, schools, and neighborhoods. Mon., June 12. Guest speakers include Fulton Commissioner Bill Edwards and his challenger Art Geter, as well as commission candidates Keisha Sean Waites and John Eaves. Second Monday of every month, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Piccadilly Cafeteria, 101 Shannon Mall, Union City. 770-969-1348. www.southfultondems.com.
· ATLANTA DOWNTOWN NEIGHBORS Monthly meetings give downtown residents an opportunity to get involved. Tues., June 13. Second Tuesday of every month, 6:30-8 p.m. Location varies. This month's meeting will be held at Imagine It! The Children's Museum of Atlanta, 275 Centennial Olympic Park Drive. 404-659-5437. www.atlantadna.org.
· ATLANTA WAND MEETS Atlanta WAND is a local chapter of Women's Actions for New Directions. The group is involved in causes including ending the war in Iraq and encouraging young women to get involved. Tues., June 13. Georgia Hill Neighborhood Building, 250 Georgia Ave., Room 209. Locations vary. Second Tuesday of every month, 7-9 p.m. 404-524-5999. www.atlantawand.org.
· CABBAGETOWN NEIGHBORS The Cabbagetown Neighborhood Improvement Association meets to discuss community improvements and provide a forum for issues concerning local residents. Tues., June 13. Second Tuesday of every month, 7 p.m. Cabbagetown Community Center, 177 Estoria Street. 404-526-9900. www.cabbagetown.com.
· SUSTAINABLE SOCIETY DISCUSSION This group discusses ways to improve the environment locally and worldwide. The Tues., June 13, meeting will be held at a new location, Jason's Deli in Buckhead. Second Tuesday of every month, 7:30-9:30 p.m. Jason's Deli, 3330 Piedmont Road. 404-982-5486. www.christopherphilosopher.com.
· NORTH FULTON DEMS Join the North Fulton Democrats for guest speakers and political conversation. The next meeting is Wed., June 14. Second Wednesday of every month, 7:15 p.m. Startime Entertainment, 608 Holcomb Bridge Road, Roswell. 770-993-5411. www.northfultondemocrats.org.
"AIR LOAF" ON 1690 AM
Join CL Editor Ken Edelstein on "Air Loaf," CL's call-in talk radio show that focuses on local news, culture and issues. "Air Loaf" is broadcast every Saturday from 10 a.m.-noon on 1690 AM Air Atlanta. Listen in and join the discussion by calling in at 404-633-1690.
Join CL Editor Ken Edelstein and candidates running for Georgia secretary of state at the next Political Party on Wed., June 14. Guests include Democratic candidates Gail Buckner and Shyam Reddy, and Republicans Charlie Bailey and Karen Handel. The event, which is open to the public and encourages discussion of issues facing metro Atlanta, is held the second Wednesday of every month. 7:30 p.m., Dad's Garage Theatre, 280 Elizabeth St. atlanta.creativeloafing.com/politicalparty.
Want to publicize a political or civic event? E-mail email@example.com.
@Dont Care .... "Dont" = Don't. "Cris" = Chris. "Their" = They're.
Actually, the league gets most of its 'black' players from Latin America!
Max Blau, I think that CL readers would really benefit from an investigative story into…
"There were things done in the past that was loosey-goosey at best. Looking back now,…
6 trumps 3, unless Eaves has photos of Hizzoner in bed with a live boy…