With a new album, Cake to Death set to drop later this year, the Evil Jeanius has been in and out of the rap game but never forgotten due to her swift flow and witty delivery. Born in South Africa, Jean honed her craft in New York and represents the grimy, intense energy of the city from a feminine point of view. But with 8 million stories in the naked city, even Jean Grae has secrets. We weasel them out of her in preview of her performance tomorrow night at A3C.
Top 5 things you didn’t know about Jean Grae
5) I love vintage stores: I’m shopping in a Bushwick Brooklyn store right now. It’s real good because something you can find here for $4 you will find across town for $85. I tell people about it but I tell them don’t bring their friends cause the prices will go up. Don’t you dare bring your friend!
4) I have really small feet: My friends consistently made fun of me. I didn’t know it wasn’t normal for my size or height until I got to junior high school and I would say, “What is a size 9 or 10?!” I’ve always been a 6½ or 7. They used to say that I did Chinese binding when I was little. I was like, “That’s racist.”
3) I enjoy a good steak: I posted on Twitter about steak and I told the vegans don’t reply telling me not to eat meat ’cause I’m talking about put some bacon, sausage and veal on top! Ok, I’m kidding. In Denmark last week I had a steak and it was sick!
2) I grind my teeth: It’s really not good but I never knew what it sounded like until my boyfriend from two years ago recorded me doing it while I was sleep. It sounds absolutely horrible. I tried to buy a mouth guard but they said my mouth was too small. I have a peanut-sized head.
1) I hate circles: I don’t like tiny circular patterns especially ones that are raised. And I don’t mean polka dots but they make me feel uneasy. I tried to go back into my childhood about why this is and I can’t find out why but it really makes me feel weird.
$33 3-day passes. $15 per day.10 p.m. Thurs., Oct 7. Red Bull Music Academy presents an evening with 9th Wonder. Masquerade (Red Bull Music Academy Stage), 695 North Avenue NE., 404-577-8178. www.a3chiphop.com.
Also the Black Madonna - a resident and talent buyer for Chicago's Smart Bar -…
Awww man no more contests for tickets?
Sounds like he's going to eventually make the "black" Bonnaroo soon enough. Just keep the…
It's very easy to insult people's work anonymously. Not to mention, respectable. May I ask…
That is correct! Please send your name and contact info to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get…
He paid homage to the 1982 movie "Wild Style