For those who caught wind of NNXT (aka Jessica Gore) via her scandalous pop escapades in the "DRNK TXTNG" video, her latest offering, "Love Superhero," takes a sharp right turn away from nightlife absurdity/humor into a clean-cut dance-pop terrain. "I want people to know that NNXT is more than just a girl who wrote a song about drunk texting," Gore explains. "NNXT is a secretly nerdy girl who produces her own pop music, has fun, wears pink, and wants people dance and laugh a little."
With that we give you NNXT's top 5 not-so-guilty pop pleasures ...
"There is no guilt associated with my love of these five women," she adds. "None. No shame. I run through the streets of Atlanta jamming out to each of them (plus, I'm sure cars driving by are highly entertained by my jogging/dance moves). Some I hold in higher esteem than others, and I treat them like my favorite beers: Some days I prefer one over the other. Some days require Rude Boy, some call for Teenage Dream. Either way, these ladies are my not-so-guilty pleasure, and I won't judge you if you secretly have a Britney album hidden in your car."
5. M.I.A. - I was a late bloomer when it comes to M.I.A., but when I hopped on that bandwagon, I rode it at light speed. She has such a strong presence about her, I mean hell, she performed nine months preggo. That's badass. Her track "Come Around" that Timbaland produced is one of my favorites.
4. Rihanna - Minus the whole Chris Brown debacle, Rihanna can do no wrong in my eyes. Unlike another one of my choices, her voice is absolutely stunning and I've always loved that no matter how produced her tracks are, you can tell she's hella talented.
3. Ke$ha - OK. Stop rolling your eyes. Everyone hates Ke$ha. I get it. She's a product of the Dr. Luke popstar factory. She uses Auto-Tune (*gasp*). But ya know what? She's got some bangin' songs which each of you have tapped your toes to at least once, whether you know it or not. It's like eating McDonald's. You know it's bad for you, but sometimes you're glad you ignored your conscience.
2. Katy Perry - Confession: I was raised in a Southern Baptist household in South Georgia, and I actually bought Katy Perry's first album she did under the name "Katy Hudson." I was obsessed with her then, and I am obsessed with her now. It's been really cool to watch her grow over the years (and yes, I have those super hipster moments where I say things like, "I knew of her way before she was famous ..."). Her first album was great, but Teenage Dream is spectacular. It could be 32 degrees outside but she always makes it feel like summer.
1. Britney - Let's be real, I can't be the only girl who's looked in the mirror and said, "It's Britney, bitch." OK, maybe not. Guess we just got REAL personal, didn't we. Other than Madonna, she's the queen. When "Baby One More Time" came out 13 years ago, I freaked out with my friends at pool parties when it would come on the radio, we would horribly dance around with boys, talk about how pretty she was, and put her posters on our walls. That, my friends, is what pop music is all about.
Second Hand Swagger!!
Totally original!!! Love love them!
The Quaildogs for sure!
It looks fun cheers
Stick to the Blues,the reason most people come to this is to hear Blues music…
Nice writeup James. I completely agree. The Festival is clearly trying to appeal to a…
The Quaildogs. I miss them when they don't come West towards New Orleans. I miss…