“She wanted success, was pressured to make hits, but her own sound was still irrepressible,” explains Meshell. “She had things to say, she protested. She was a loud, proud black, female voice during a time when black female voices were not encouraged to make themselves heard.”
Ndegeocello's version of "Be My Husband," which debuted today on NPR, is a funky cover featuring the voice of New York singer-songwriter Valerie June. It starts off bare-bones, complete with stomps and hand-claps, before building into a stirring reverie backed by Ndegeocello's grinding bassline. Other guests on the album of Simone standards and traditional classics include Sinead O'Connor, Tracy Wannomae, Toshi Reagon, and Atlanta natives Lizz Wright and Cody ChesnuTT.
The video below features a hexing live performance of "Be My Husband" by Nina Simone before a packed Central Park crowd at the Harlem Festival in 1969.
Peep the album's tracklist below the break...
Pour une âme souveraine tracklist
1. Please Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood
3. Real Real feat. Toshi Reagon
4. House of the Rising Sun feat. Toshi Reagon
5. Turn Me On
6. Feelin’ good
7. Don’t Take All Night feat. Sinead O’Connor
8. Nobody’s Fault But Mine feat. Lizz Wright
9. Be My Husband feat. Valerie June
10. Black is the Color of My True Loves Hair feat. Valerie June
11. See Line Woman feat. Tracy Wannomae
12. Either Way I Lose
13. To Be Young, Gifted and Black feat. Cody ChesnuTT
14. Four Women
Looks like I will get a chance to listen in March:
Unfortunately "Tesseract" isn't available online any more. It looks like the only Warehouse song you…
How can I listen to Warehouse's music?
This one goes to Cousin Dan...not sure what Dillon's music is...it sure aint catchy. Dan…
Just FYI, Solvent is one of their oldest songs. They just rerecorded it for the…
Amazing show, I was really disappointed in myself that I missed them in February coz…