This year, label mastermind David Matysiak has assembled a handful of mostly Atlanta-based artists, including Social Studies, Feast of Violet, Brainworlds, Old King Cole Younger, and more. There's a hefty dose of Omaha-related names scattered throughout the tracklist as well, including Todd Fink (the Faint), Dereck Higgins, and Flowers Forever.
Not unlike the past three Holidaze comps, number four remains focused on gathering song ideas and stories from throughout 2012. "[It's] a year-end net to catch that elusive little melody," Matysiak explains. "A time capsule for that strange Leonard Cohen story ... I encourage all the artists to explore material they are working on right now, letting the holiday season be a foundation if they like. Many of the people on this comp are friends from afar that I've met over the years from touring," he adds. "It's nice to know what they are working on this minute, if at all possible."
What stands out immediately this year is the random diversity that binds each track to the next. It's one of the more remarkable installments in the series so far, and at times no. 4 truly feels like a musical exercise in sailing into the unknown. Download Roam 4 the Holidaze 4
1. Santana Santa - "In the Beginning..."
2. Feast of Violet - "Vitals"
3. Adam Bruneau - "Solipsism Rock"
4. InDreama - "Nobuo's Song"
5. Frank Broyles - "Psychic Sarah Christmas"
6. Oh Dorian - "I'm Dreaming Tonight..."
7. Shelved Selves - "Uranian Carol #12"
8. Elliot (&) Smith - "Mr. Grinch"
9. Flowers Forever - "Restless Moon"
10. Social Studies - "Toxo (feat. Zopari Kristjanson)"
11. Brainworlds - "Beyond the Ascent"
12. Spacewalker - "Launch"
13. Daniel Manuel - "La Fiesta de Don Juan"
14. Tournament of Orchids - "I'm Rejoicing Now"
15. Old King Cole Younger - "Christmas Far Away From Home, Moan"
16. Todd Fink - "Texas Balances"
17. Dereck Higgins - "Pancake Blues"
18. Whiskey Sue - "Christmas Island"
19. Decomposer - "Pessimystique"
20. Dennis Banana - "Nude Piano"
21. Lazy Monsters - "The Christmas That Never Was"
Thanks for this wonderful news. Radar defined synergy. The band was greater than any player…
Second Hand Swagger!!
Totally original!!! Love love them!
The Quaildogs for sure!
It looks fun cheers
Stick to the Blues,the reason most people come to this is to hear Blues music…
Nice writeup James. I completely agree. The Festival is clearly trying to appeal to a…