Thursday, June 25, 2009

(UPDATE) Remembering Atlanta's Terminal and Union rail stations

Posted By on Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:33 PM

click to enlarge Terminal Station
  • Terminal Station

The Infrastructurist has a great post examining some of the country's most beautiful train stations that were demolished to make way for bland developments or parking lots.

Atlanta receives shout outs for Terminal Station and Union Station. Both buildings were razed long ago to make way for the Richard B. Russell Federal Building and a parking lot, respectively.

About Terminal Station:

Atlanta was once the largest rail crossroads in the south. Travelers could get virtually everywhere quickly and conveniently by rail. Built in 1905, Terminal was the grand portal to the city. It had two Italianate towers and a huge train shed behind. When the station was razed in 1970, it was replaced by a government office building. These days Atlanta’s intercity rail depot is a small former commuter rail station located far north of downtown, adjacent to a 16-lane highway.

For another beautiful photo of Terminal Station, visit the cleverly named Terminal Station, an Atlanta blog focused on urban issues and development.

(H/T to Dominick Brady, Photo courtesy GSU via Infrastructurist)

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Comments (3)

Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

Readers also liked…

Latest in Fresh Loaf

More by Thomas Wheatley

Restaurant Review: Bread & Butterfly
Restaurant Review: Bread & Butterfly

Search Events

Search Fresh Loaf

Recent Comments

© 2016 Creative Loafing Atlanta
Powered by Foundation