Other relationships flailed this week, the first being the uninteresting and unbelievable relationship between Turtle and his girlfriend-turned-model Alex, who has run off to Miami to live the high life, not bothering to return Turtle's calls. The less said of this storyline the better - if there's anyone out there who deigns to defend it I anxiously await your arguments. I like Turtle and I like him having something to do - but I would prefer to see him "grow" by doing more with the business than ordering around barely clothed Fembots and moping after a female we have very little investment in.
On the flip side is Ari and, um, Mrs. Ari (it's such a telling feature of "Entourage" that Ari's wife doesn't have a first name. I wonder if they'll reveal it like "Sex and the City" did with Mr. Big at the end of the series) ...
I would pay to see the spin-off "Ari and Lloyd: CSI." The crime this week was Lloyd spotting Mrs. Ari at Bobby Flay's restaurant and, thanks to Lloyd's waiter friend at said restaurant, the seed is planted that Mrs. Ari may be doing the very unthinkable: banging a waiter! Though in fact she's dating Bobby Flay (who, in real life has been married three times and is still married to Law & Order: SVU's Stephanie March). The incident gave us a few fantastic small character moments, from Mrs. Ari's unstable sister to Lloyd's waiter friend (who had the best quote of the episode, listed below), and sets up yet another Ari revenge arc, which are some of the most fun moments of the show.
"Out With A Bang" was about desperation, from relationships to careers. In service of the latter, Andrew Dice Clay shows up to illustrate the flip side of the kind of fame Vince basks in, "I used to live on three acres in Beverly Hills," he says. "Now I live in an apartment in Encino with my wife and kids and a sick cat." Billy mentions at a recording for "Johnny's Bananas" that "everybody's been humbled in this group, but we will prevail!" and you believe him. It's a story that Hollywood loves and that Hollywood has a lot of - I have a good feeling that the boys probably will prevail by the end of the season. Though what that might actually mean I cannot say.
Musings and Miscellanea:
- Johnny Drama is not only a fun character, he's a genuinely likable guy. Seeing Andrew Dice Clay giving him the "let's walk" advice made me want to throw something at the screen. So far Drama seems to be deflecting Clay's awful leveraging advice. I'd hate to see his good fortune go to ruin.
- Quote of the Episode: "Some of us have good hearts, Mr. Gold, despite our social standing."
- I know I gave Scott a lot of appreciation last week, but it's Billy who is by far my favorite character so far this season. He's been given so many small, great lines (and even little eccentricities like the dog in the studio) without being over the top. "I love your selflessness, Vince. I think I might use some of your vibe for the part of the labrador, if that's ok."
- "Bobby Flay? He's a genetic mistake!" - Ari
- AMC got a lot of love from "Entourage" this week, with shout-outs to both "Mad Men" and "The Walking Dead"
- If you didn't gag a little at the thought of the "double header," I am giving you a hard side-eye. The idea of at least showering in between was worth something, but Drama saying "nah, I don't even brush my teeth - just splash a little water on it" was disgusting.
- "Princess Di and Prince Charles got divorced and then she died, go away Lloyd." - Ari
- I was a big fan of Christian Slater in the late 90s (go ahead, judge me), and I believe this is the third HBO show (the others being "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and "Extras") where he shows up playing himself as a complete douche. I find it funny that he's making a second career out of it.
- Give me your predictions for reconciliation below concerning Ari & Wife, E & Sloan and Turtle & Alex.
@ 1msluckie How do you know he didn't ask? How do you know she started…
He didn't ask for any of this. She took it upon herself to start this…
Not a huge fan of the ankle cuff sneakers that Serena (and KD) are wearing…
Kind of strange that some random lady started a GoFundMe for that kid. I'm curious…
Can Tim Lee get any more pitiful?