Hey, kids, would you like to get into politics? You would? Great! Then you need to hustle down to City Hall before the end of the week in order to qualify for the vacant District 2 seat on the Atlanta Board of Education… Hey, where ya goin'? That's the wrong direction! Wait!
OK, you've got to wonder who'd want this job, which came open when its last occupant jumped ship. Consider:
• The APS is home to the biggest school cheating scandal in U.S. history, a network of systemic fraud so pervasive that dozens of implicated teachers and administrators will likely be purged.
• Parents all over town still have "Stand up or stand down" signs in their yards and are calling for board members' heads.
• The system is under threat of losing accreditation — a decision that could largely depend on the actions and behavior of the school board.
Hmm. That doesn't sound very enticing to me. Fact is, I predict that the candidates who sign up for this political suicide mission will fit one of three profiles:
• The Elder Statesman — a seasoned vet who feels the call of duty to help clean up the mess left behind by Beverly Hall.
• The Up-N-Comer — a young, ambitious go-getter who sees this job as a trial by fire that will lead to bigger things.
• The Nut-Job — the kind of ax-grinding, less-than-competent narcissist who already populates half the elected positions around here.
Anyway, if you're one of these types, here's what you need to know:
Qualifying period to fill the Atlanta Board of Education District 2 vacancy takes place from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 3, to Friday, Aug. 5, in the Office of the Municipal Clerk, Suite 2700, Atlanta City Hall, 55 Trinity Ave., Second Floor.
This Atlanta Board of Education vacancy will be filled in a Special Election to be held Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2011. City Council Districts 3 and 4 constitute the boundaries of Board of Education District 2.
For more information call 404-330-6500.
He didn't ask for any of this. She took it upon herself to start this…
Not a huge fan of the ankle cuff sneakers that Serena (and KD) are wearing…
Kind of strange that some random lady started a GoFundMe for that kid. I'm curious…
Can Tim Lee get any more pitiful?
Are my nards going to get irradiated?
sarcasm, and the lost art therein.