"Whiz Kid" was a breezy episode that literally few past so quickly I barely registered any plot movement. Vince passed his drug test, is back to keeping E in the loop, and is still on for Airwalkers. And? Beyond that, not much. For those of us hoping for a blissful Ari-Dana relationship, Ari seems to have burned bridges everywhere he turned (whether to Dana or to his estranged wife). And what of Mrs. Ari? Perry Reeves is playing her more shrilly and frantically than ever, and since we as viewers have the benefit of seeing the "other" side of Ari's life we are being pushed further towards increased compassion for him only. But I must say, I see her side of things. No, Ari never cheated on her. But did he ever treat her with real respect? Keeping his member out of other women is one kind of faithfulness, but not giving her his time or his attention is lacking in something deeper. I still like Ari with Dana, but I do grieve for the Gold's broken relationship and Ari's lack of understanding to the cause.
My last comment touches on "Entourage's" notes of reality - notice Dana said "do you want to roll calls?" Perfect L.A. Speak (#4 on the list). And too we have those ambulance chasers TMZ name checked at the start of the episode, with a helicopter roaring in the distance - Dana mentions later about Vince's drug test being "on the news." As I've said before, "Entourage's" grasp of the Hollywood zeitgeist is unparalleled, and one of the show's greatest assets.
Musings and Miscellanea:
- "I haven't slept with her since 1992!" - Ari. And yet he remembers the date so clearly!
- Shauna, it's always a pleasure (though her scenes are regrettably short)
- "I saw brains …" — Turtle "I'm guessing they weren't Drama's." — Ari
- Nice little cameo by Rob Morrow, who hails one of my favorite series, "Northern Exposure" (he was also, more recently on "Numb3rs")
- Billy comes to save the day with the fake penis (which, miraculously we get a shot of! HBO never shows actual male genitalia of course, just props - but I'm still shocked they deigned to flash it). Don't get me started on the male versus female nudity issue … I'll let Billy handle it.
- And the episode ended with a fake penis being thrown around, and Scott using it as a phone. A 180 from last week's finale!
Mo gibs muh 'dat.
One step forward, two steps back.
Hey "Here's Your Editorial", what does Dale Earnhardt Junior have to do with this article?
I would bet Don Balfour chews with his mouth open and sweats profusely the entire…
Paying to have dinner with Bubba McDonald... ugh, just ugh. The only thing that could…