Charlotte, N.C., the city that wants to be Atlanta but will never be just because, is all abuzz with energy, security, and drag queens for the Democrats' quadrennial gathering. The pageantry — and like all political events, it is, unfortunately, pageantry — kicked off last night with what pundits are calling a rollickin' good speech by Michelle Obama to a diverse crowd. (The commander-in-chief and first daughters appeared to enjoy it.) Here's the video:
Other tidbits from last night:
* In addition to the first lady's speech, San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro wowed the crowd and is drawing comparisons to then-Sen. Barack Obama's 2004 speech. His daughter, who hypnotized the crowd for a healthy portion of her father's speech, nearly overshadowed the young pol.
* A 100 percent objective, scientific rundown of last night's "winners and losers."
* Let's see if Democrats can tell lies during speeches just as well as Republicans!
* An on-the-ground look at how North Carolina's Democratic delegation spent yesterday morning, courtesy of our CL sister paper in Charlotte.
* The donkeys overlook the G-O-D in the party's platform.
* Lots of celebrities not named Jon Voight or Clint Eastwood are expected to speak during the convention.
* The Democrats' swag bag sucks.
* And Jesus Christ, people are already talking about who will run in 2016.
TONIGHT: Former President Bill Clinton will deliver tonight's keynote address, which he's apparently been personally writing and revising for weeks. There's been some talk that Clinton will scold GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney over an ad that accuses Obama of rolling back the welfare reforms he oversaw while in office. (The spot irked Clinton.) But he's not expected to upstage the president, who will accept the party's nomination on Thursday.
And yes, CL Photo Editor Joeff Davis is in Charlotte for the convention and will be transmitting images via carrier pigeon, which we will then scan and publish online. Here's his gallery from Day One.
"why are you surprised Governor Deal wants nothing to do with it?" _____________________________________________________ Because it…
I agree with Andrew.
Considering the true costs of Obamacare, how people are being denied under it that weren't…
And then Deal wonders why Obama didn't allocate money for the port of Savannah ..…
"I am not a billionaire. So I have to trust him." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses Amazing how easily…
Odd how similar the amounts are for the deepening of the Port of Savannah and…