Hey, this is cool. The Atlanta BBQ Club is holding its first meeting at 7 p.m. Oct. 8, at Maddy's Rib & Blues Joint (1474 Scott Blvd., Decatur). As anyone who's lived in the South more than two weeks knows, no food is more controversial. I can imagine some serious brawling occurring at the new club's meetings.
Bob Herndon, president of the group, writes this:
The mission of the Atlanta BBQ Club is to introduce Atlantans to, and educate them about the variety of BBQ restaurants and methods of cooking BBQ. We sell memberships to individuals for $25 per year. In return you get:
1. Up-to-date information -- and 10 % discounts -- from local member BBQ restaurants.
2. News and discounts about state-of-the-art BBQ equipment.
3. "Fieldtrips" organized by the club to BBQ contests throughout the South (such as the national BBQ festival in Douglas, Ga.).
4. A once-a-month "meating" at a local establishment to try some new BBQ or enjoy a familiar favorite.
5. Invitations to "private-only" BBQ functions put on by members or elected chefs.
6. Hardcopy map of Atlanta BBQ club restaurants.
7. Qualifying to become an official BBQ judge.
8. Meet fellow BBQ enthusiasts to exchange tips on cooking.
9. Information on contests.
10.Guest speakers at "meatings" to inform and educate.
(Photo of Maddy's baby back ribs by Frederick Noble)
Following up on the PG/FSB thread: First, I'm a native Atlantan, and I loved Chef…
I'm really disappointed at Mr. Bostock's less than fair review of Lips Atlanta. It sounds…
Were there sliders?
Straight people be havin' kids and goin' to church. You seen this, you heard about…
RIP Hollywood HOTS...Backstreet...etc... This town used to swing...and strut...now it shuffles. A 24 hr. moveable…
PG - you could offer to help them instead of critiquing them, since you seem…