Pin It

Friday, January 25, 2008

New Yorkers eat poison with chopsticks

Posted By on Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 9:27 PM

poison.jpg
The New York Times reported the results of its own study of mercury levels in sushi tuna a few days ago. The results were pretty shocking:

Recent laboratory tests found so much mercury in tuna sushi from 20 Manhattan stores and restaurants that at most of them, a regular diet of six pieces a week would exceed the levels considered acceptable by the Environmental Protection Agency.

Sushi from 5 of the 20 places had mercury levels so high that the Food and Drug Administration could take legal action to remove the fish from the market. The sushi was bought by The New York Times in October.

No one should eat a meal of tuna with mercury levels like those found in the restaurant samples more than about once every three weeks," said Dr. Michael Gochfeld, professor of environmental and occupational medicine at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in Piscataway, N.J.

And how have sushi-eating New Yorkers reacted? Yawn.

Tags: , , ,

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

Latest in Omnivore

More by Cliff Bostock

The Ultimate Pizza Smackdown
The Ultimate Pizza Smackdown

Search Events

Search Omnivore

Recent Comments

© 2015 Creative Loafing Atlanta
Powered by Foundation